The YMCA, Young Men's Christian Association, is a voluntary, international, Christian, ecumenical movement that strives to reflect the cultural identity of the Nation in which it exists and serves. First started in London, England, in 1844 by a group of young men, the YMCA concept spread rapidly to every continent of the world. Today, there are YMCAs in 122 countries and regions as nonprofit organizations. YMCAs, sharing the life of love and service manifested in Jesus Christ, offer opportunities for individuals and families to grow in spirit, mind and body at every life stage.
The YMCA's Instills These Basic Principles & Values in Their Activities:
- To respect one's own life & values as well as those of others.
- To feel & understand the responsibilities of being a citizen and a family member.
- To view the world & the earth with an open mind.
- To appreciate the spirit of volunteering & learn leadership skills.
- To enhance one's own health & to encourage healthy lifestyles.
- Caring, Honesty, Responsibility, & Respect.